Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Raw Food Recipes for a dog with severe itchy skin?

I recently wrote about my 9 yr. old shitzu with severe itchy dry skin. He has wounds where he bites and he is losing hair, I am out of options already. I don't want to give up on him and put him down, and after my last question, I received many great responses. I have decided to raw feed my dog. I have been researching on it, and I know that I have to gradually introduce this food to him, however I'd like to get suggestions on what exactly to feed him. Tomorrow will be his 1st feeding in this manner, so any raw food recipes for a dog with chronic itchy skin would be amazing! Also, any tips to introducing the food, and how exactly to prepare the food for my little one :) thanks in advance to everyone!Raw Food Recipes for a dog with severe itchy skin?
I would start your dog on chicken. Maybe thighs, split bone in breasts. He should get 2-3% of his ideal weight daily. Feed the chicken for a couple weeks and then slowly add in some chicken liver.



You'll want to add in new foods slowly and one at time for your dog, just to make sure he doesn't have an allergy to a protein. So for example if you start adding in beef and your dog starts to get itchy again, discontinue the beef. Wait a couple weeks, try again, if the dog gets itchy again then don't feed beef.



You want to work up so you can feed a variety of foods. My own dogs eat chicken, pork, beef, rabbit, venison, lamb and other "exotic" meats as I can get them. Variety is important in this diet, but many dogs need to work up being able to eat a variety.



I shoot for an 80/10/10 ratio. 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 10% organs half of which is liver. This isn't met exactly everyday but over time.



http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_D鈥?/a>

http://www.rawfed.comRaw Food Recipes for a dog with severe itchy skin?
raw food is healthy for dogs but im not too sure about recipes.



a food that works great for dogs with skin problems is california natural and also try fish oil vitamins with his meals.



if you haven't already, take him to a vet to make sure he doesn't have some kind of mites that could cause him to lose his hair and even skin.



if you are set on the raw food diet, introduce it to him slowly to avoid upset stomach and diarrhea.
sorry i dont have any recipes, but you will need to feed a hypoallergenic raw diet. if he is having problems with allergies and you dont know exactly what he is allergic too make sure you stay away from major allergens such as beef. I would try this website and see if they dont have any recipes posted anywhere or maybe you will be ablet to find someone who can help you more http://www.dogforums.com/Raw Food Recipes for a dog with severe itchy skin?
Join these two groups. Plenty of raw feeding owners there who can be of help.



http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/RawCh鈥?/a>

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/RawFe鈥?/a>
I like this link

http://www.rawfeddogs.net/Recipes



I would go out and buy a few whole chickens and then cut them into meals. If the average weight for a shih tzu is about 6 kg (13lbs) then it would need about 150-200 grams of food per day.



I find shears the best thing for cutting up birds and always try to separate at the joints to prevent too many cuts.



Often a whole chunk of meat can be a bit overwhelming for a 'newbie' so ribboning or slicing the meat while leaving it on the bone is a good way to encourage them. Most dogs don't need too much encouragement but sometimes some stinky cheese or quickly searing the outside of the meat may help them realise it is food.



I don't use recipes but more of a general ratio. Over the course of the week (or two) I aim to feed about 2/3 meat (and heart) and the rest a combination of meaty bones and offal. Don't feed liver more than once a week and make sure the meals are complicated enough for a good teeth cleaning.



I have an itchy dog too and ANY cooked processed foods will set her off. ** remember that while your dog may be intolerant to a 'cooked' meat it doesn't mean that the raw will have the same effect. The proteins are totally different and should be treated that way.Raw Food Recipes for a dog with severe itchy skin?
This is a great question and you should do your research very carefully! Everyone is going to have their opinion but that does not mean it is the right food for your dog. I just lost my seven year old German Shepherd to cancer and that is when I went searching for the cause. I came across a website on the internet that shocked me into disbelief that I probably had poisoned my dog to death and didn't even know it. Most dog foods are loaded with hidden poisons and other obscenities I still have a hard time grasping. I am going to give you the website address so you can read this report and learn what is really in commercial dog foods and you can make an educated decision like I did on which dog food to buy! I wish you all the best!

Click the link below to get this eye opening report:

http://www.realdogfoodcomparisons.com/re鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment