Thursday, February 23, 2012

The best of the worst: What's the best supermarket dog food?

I know, I know.


Supermarket dog food is crap.


But I also know that this recession is only slowly recovering.


I'm a brand new dog owner (10 month old pit), but I don't want to do too many trial and error experiences with her stomach.


I made the mistake of introducing her to canned food. Then I learned that kibble is better for her, but, of course, she doesn't want to eat the dry again unless I mix in some of the canned. Can't really blame her though, lol.


We also had a short stint with a few raw recipes, but then she started to think she was entitled to everything I made for myself.





It seems like the dog food sold in supermarkets is the equivalent of fast food for us humans--cheap and convenient. Is there any commercial brand out there that's kind of like the "Subway" of dog foods, or at least a brand with the nutrition of kibble but the satisfaction of canned?





Thanks|||If I was forced to use a grocery store brand, I *guess* I'd use Science Diet (and yes, it's still crap). And I say that grudgingly. Or Kirkland brand at CostCo. I assume you mean "grocery store" in terms of PRICE, not ACCESS. Meaning you probably have a pet store or something nearby; your issue is money.





Just a couple of other notes...





Don't automatically assume that "cheaper" food really is cheaper. We originally had our puppy on Purina, but because of all the fillers in it, it took a ton of food to fill her up. We were going through a bag almost every week. We switched her to Blue Buffalo, and because it's better food, it doesn't take as much to fill her up. We're mid-way through a $27 bag, and by the time we're through it, it will have lasted well over a month. So while good food is more expensive, your dog should need to eat less of it. There are also other intangible benefits in terms of coat, eye health, energy, immunity and even (I think so anyway) behavior and temperament.





Ease your dog onto dry food gradually. Each day, use less and less wet food until finally she's off it. Don't coddle her when it comes to food. She eats what you give her or she doesn't eat. She's not going to starve herself if she's healthy. Giving in when it comes to wet food is only enabling her fussiness. YOU are in charge of the food, not her.





EDIT: So the top show dogs all eat grocery store-brand food, hmm? And just WHO sponsors the Westminster, National and AKC shows? Why, it's Pedigree, Purina and Eukanuba! I wonder if that might have anything to do with it. Assuming that claim is even true. In the future I plan on showing wheatens and I'll be damned if I feed what amounts to corn to a $2,500+ dog. Do you think Sadie eats Purina Dog Chow at night? I don't.|||I have 7 dogs and my family and I feed six of them Pedigree and I feed my dog Science Diet because of a heart condition she needs to be on a special diet.





Pedigree is good for them. Make sure you get Pedigree for puppies though. :-)





He will get used to eating the dry food. Just give it to him, even if he doesn't eat it right away eventually he'll get hungry and he'll eat it. :-)





Good luck with your new puppy!|||Blue Buffalo is not available in supermarkets. First answer is correct, Iam's is definitely top at supermarkets, and even cheaper at Walmart. You want a food with more rice fillers rather than corn, and the more protein the better. They have to list this on all dog foods. Compare and you'll agree.|||Stay away from Science Diet! Real crappy food. There are NO supermarket dog foods (unless something was put on the shelves recently), that are really "healthy" for our pets. You really should visit your local pet store or a reputable feed store. ALWAYS make sure the first 1 - 2 ingredients are meats. NO CORN, WHEAT, or SOY PROTEIN. You want the food to contain garden vegs. and fruit. Also, wholesome, whole grains are okay.


Check out this site: www.dogfoodanalysis.com Best of wishes with your new dog! :}|||If you have a Costco near you, they have a mid-grade very inexpensive kibble. It's called Kirkland's Lamb n Rice or Chicken n Rice. It's $19-$23 for a 40-lb bag!





At meijer's or walmart. the best they offer is Lassie and Newman's own. Still low-grade foods though.|||We recommend Healthwise, Innova, or Evo in our clinic. They aren't usually in supermarkets, but you can find them at pet stores.|||I'd use purina to be honest. I use science diet on my dog(though I want to change it to something else) but you can only get that from pet stores/vets. Congrats on your new pup by the way! :D|||The best of the cheap food, is Costco's Kirkland


they get a 3/6 stars,





http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_…|||I would use Purina One if I had to use a supermarket food.|||Please don't do Science Diet. It costs a lot and it's just as good (or bad) as Purina Dog Chow.





A decent Supermarket brand (ugh - supermarket brands are Bad) would be President's Choice.





However, you'll be spending less money overall if you buy a high-quality dog food like Orijen, Evo, Innova, Wellness, or Acana, because there won't be all the fillers. They'll need to eat less to get everything that they need, and it will be a lot healthier for them. Many of those fillers, and quite frankly a lot of those ingredients in the supermarket brands are known to cause allergies/liver/kidney problems and disease. Better off getting a good brand.





Also, a lot of the supermarket brands spray a nice-smelling (to the dog) fat on top of the kibble, so they'll want to eat it. I know Orijen and Acana don't, and I don't think Evo does either, so your dog is less likely to want to eat it. You might want to try putting something tasty like chicken broth or some thing on it at first, and then phase it out.





@Jessie Just because a lot of people do it, doesn't mean it's healthy. Eukanueba and Purina may be considered top of the line for you, but that's a really bad, about to break line that many others want nothing to do with. And a lot of people who want working dogs with good temperaments consider the show dogs ruined - they think that dog shows have ruined many breeds. Just looking at the american line GSD for a good example of that.





Dogs used to live longer, be healthier, with way less allergies and kidney/liver/skin/cancer problems. Most people who switch to a high quality dog food like Orijen for some reason find that the allergies go away..... There's also been studies done with aggressive dogs where just switching the food to a high quality one made the aggressive almost disappear. So, in my opinion, you're well-meaning, but your reasoning is invalid|||Rest your brain. The overwhelming majority of show dogs in this world are, have been, and will continue to eat the high-end Purina and Eukanuba lines. They're healthy, have gleaming, full coats and healthy litters.





If you have to buy your food at a supermarket, look for IAMS, Eukanuba or Purina ProPlan or Purina One. You'll be in good company--the best show breeders in the country.





My dog eats Canidae because she doesn't do well with corn. That's it-period, end of story. Not because I think there is something horrible about a food with corn, or bad about commercial brands, etc.





People have lost their ever-loving minds about food lately.





Buy something that you can afford to feed, that is AAFCO certified, that your dogs will eat, and that they do well on. That's all you need worry about.





My mom has some of the best dogs of her breed in the country, and they eat Purina One and a little Pedigree canned. Have for years. And they tend to live to 15 or 16--old for her breed.





So relax. ;)|||Uh, well, not at supermarkets, no. The best thing you will probably find there is Purina One or similar. I know that we fed our dogs Purina for the longest time and recently switched over to a food that doesn't contain corn and the first three ingredients are meat. It actually only costs about a 5 dollars more than Purina one and is definitely worth it. It's called NutriSource. It certainly isn't top of the line, but in these times, not everyone can afford top of the line. It is better than Purina, that's for sure.





EDIT: I do agree with Jessie. My dogs did fine on Purina One, but my dog started having allergic reactions to the corn. And they often change the little tiny ingredients that cause her food allergy to flair up.|||I'd really urge you to do some comparison shopping. Go to a local pet supply or livestock store, write down the price and size of bag for a really good brand, like Evo, Instinct, Taste of the Wild, and Orijen. Make note of how much your pup will need to be fed each day. Now go to Walmart and do the same thing. Write down the same details for Purina or Pedigree.





When you compare the two bags. Because there are no fillers in the great brands, you will be feeding them SO much less (which means less poop to scoop!). The great brand doesn't cost much more than the crap brand. From personal experience, I can tell you I save money by using Orijen Cat and Kitten for my cat. Sure it's a bigger chunk at once, but cheaper in the long run. Not to mention that healthy food means a healthier pet which means less vet costs!





Make sure to check out the pet food review page. You could easily go with a 4 or 5 star, too. Hey, 4 is so much better than 1!!!|||Honestly cutting corners on dog food can bite u in the u know what especially with that breed. Places like petco or vets charge more for the good stuff. Try to find a farm and feed store and the food should be between $.80 and $1.00 per #. I religiously feed my pit bulls science diet they have the best food as far as commercial food goes. Switching food often is bad as u know but if u must buy at the grocery store stay away from rice and lamb. My dog did the same thing being picky wanting scraps just stick to only dry food and biscuits and they will get used to eating their food. Enjoy ur dog this breed is the best!!|||I'd go with Science Diet...but if you are set on something from the supermarket go w/ Iams.|||I used to give my dogs' canned food too and they off course only wanted canned food.But we started giving them Ol'Roy chunks and chews and they really love it!!I would recommend that.. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment