Sunday, February 26, 2012

What can I do with half of a raw squash?

It was too big to cook all of it and I had nothing to freeze it all in (used it for baby food). So now I have half an acorn squash sitting here uncooked. Is there a way I can preserve it for 2 days without cooking it? I can make something for our thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. Or a recipe that will keep until then? I don't want it to go to waste.What can I do with half of a raw squash?
Make soup or make mashed or roasted squashWhat can I do with half of a raw squash?
Just put it in a plastic container or a plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator. Take it out on the day you want to use it, and let it come to room temperature. If you haven't already done so, scoop out the seeds and scrape out the strings. Then with your oven heated to 350 degrees, put maybe a generous half tablespoon of butter into the cavity and a scant tablespoon of brown sugar or honey. Give the squash a spritz with a cooking spray like Pam, place it in a small (so the squash just fits in it) Pyrex bowl with a teeny bit of water in the bottom, or a small pie tin, and pop it in the oven, cavity side up. Let it roast for 20 minutes to 1/2 hour, take it out, mush the butter/sugar or butter/honey with the soft, baked meat of the squash, and eat.



I usually plan on 1/2 of a squash per person, and I buy smaller squash. This is delicious, very autumnal and warming, but rich in beta carotene. When I wrot it out, it sounded like a lot of steps, but it is just the easiest thing in the world to make. Sometimes I put a little cinnamon in the cavity as well, and if you have fresh cooked, warm cranberries, you can serve them in the cavity as well, if those flavors appeal to you.
beef mince (can be changed for other meat)

1 onion

1 pepper

2 cloves of garlic

salt and pepper to taste

2 large tabel sponns of tomato puree (heaped)

1 half tin of chopped tomatos (if dry add a full tin)

1 cup of beek stock

1 mozzerela ball (optional)

1 half of cup of feta cheese (optional)

and obviosly sqash!

first scoop out all the insides of the sqash and brown the mince add chopped onion, pepper then 2 crushed garlic clothes (if there only small add 3) add the feta and the tomato puree and chopped tomatos and the stock, leave to simmer on a meduim heat (i would of put a heat but every ones cooker is different!) put the outside of the sqashes in a baking tray and fill with the mixture and top with sliced mozzerela! ( bake on a low het then for about 15 mins!)

you could add the chopped insides of the sqash so they dont go to waste to!

and you could serve with anything really maybe tomato rice and veggies!

good luck xxxxxxWhat can I do with half of a raw squash?
It will cook in the chiller in the fridge.



I always cut off the chunk I need, and trim off all those faces that were cut, remove the skin.

Always remove the seeds though as they can start to go mouldy



Squash roast well with the skin an and if is soft enough the flesh can be scraped of with a knife or fork on the plate
Trina, sure you can girl, just cover the exposed squash with some cling wrap.



Congratulations Trina, my wife and I are proud of you, cooking fresh for your baby, and not some of the muck you buy.What can I do with half of a raw squash?
Cook it and then freeze it.

No comments:

Post a Comment