Sunday, February 26, 2012

Is it OK to salt & pepper raw chicken before freezing?

Last night I made a recipe that consisted of chicken breasts. After I seasoned them with salt and pepper, I decided to make less of them that I had intended so I food saved a couple and put them in the freezer. Is this OK to do? Sounds like a strange question I know, but In all my years of cooking, I have never done that before. Will the salt affect the meat in any way? Thanks!Is it OK to salt %26amp; pepper raw chicken before freezing?
It's just fine. But keep in mind that the longer you wait to cook it, the more the meat will be 'broken down'. . . This is the effect of 'tenderizing' your chicken. Which you have already done by salting it. The longer you wait to cook it, the more 'mealy' the meat will get. I hope this helps you. Thank you.Is it OK to salt %26amp; pepper raw chicken before freezing?
no it's not okay ..but doesn't hurt if you already done it

it will taste different
Well, salt is a preservative so if anything it seems it should help keep the meat. Besides they are just minerals. I would think they would be fine.Is it OK to salt %26amp; pepper raw chicken before freezing?
Salt actually preserves, so there shouldn't be a problem.
I haven't the faintest idea. But I guess you'll find out eventually. Sounds like an interesting experiment.Is it OK to salt %26amp; pepper raw chicken before freezing?
Salt should be fine, It might dry it a little, but It shouldn't be too bad. Pepper on the other hand, will not cause a problem untill you cook with it. You should never pepper your food untill after it has cooked. Pepper has a VERY low smoke point (The point that it burns) And after reaching that smoke temperature it tastes horrible. The only exception to this would be in soups and stews where it would not get over the boiling point annyway.
It's perfectly safe to season, then freeze your poultry. My husband and I both work long hours. We often cut up meat, chicken,etc. on the weekends. Season it for the dish we plan to make during the week and then just defrost it the morning we're planning to make it. THis way, by the time we get home, all we have to do is cook the chicken (or lamb, or turkey) without the prep work.
it is not an isue as I often season my meat before freezing it..

No comments:

Post a Comment