Monday, February 20, 2012

Why won't the cat eat? Should I switch foods?

Help me if you can, please.



I’ve had my cat Mickey for 6 months. He’s about 2 years old (he was a stray that was rescued, and that’s what the vet estimates his age is), a poly-dactyl, and quite large- he’s about the size of a smallish medium dog. He has a little pooch, but he’s not overly obese.



I have been feeding him Purina dry food since I’ve had him (Chicken formula). He’s picky (I tried to change his food once- fat chance), but with this new bag (purchased about 10 days ago), he’s hardly eating. At all. He shows no signs of illness, he can still eat %26amp; digest his treats just fine, but he’s barely eating.



Of course, it’s showing in his temper. He tries to get my food (he almost jumped on my face for some barbeque sauce), he yowls much more (he’s a very loud and verbal cat as it is, he’s just more adamant and feisty about it), and he seems occasionally skittish. When I approach him to pet him, he sometimes shrinks back like I’m going to hit him (I DO NOT ABUSE ANIMALS). I have 2 other roommates, and there is another cat in the house. The two cats get along very well. I know one of my roommates is very kind to Mickey (the other cat is his), and although my other roommate isn’t the cleanliest, I don’t take him for one to hit cats.



I don’t want to feed Mickey solely treats, and I’m starting to worry. I thought, “Well, if he’s hungry enough, he’ll eat,” but I’ve yet to see proof of that in his bowl. He’s not eating the other cat’s food, so I’m at a loss. Should I switch to wet food? A mix of wet %26amp; dry? Raw food? I’d ideally like something that will fill him up, keep him energized %26amp; healthy, and maybe slim him down a bit.



I know there will be many opinions, and I’m welcome to all. Please help this momma stop worrying about her Mickey!!



If anyone has any raw food cat recipes, could you guide me towards them? Thanks!Why won't the cat eat? Should I switch foods?
If your cat randomly stops eating, he should be checked by a vet.

That being said, yes, you should change his food. Purina, quite simply, is junk.



Raw, prey model diet is the absolute best you can feed your cat. If you're interested in pursuing this, I strongly urge you to do so. Research is your friend in this department. Also, join a raw feeding group for troubleshooting and advice.



If a commercial diet is what you're looking for, choose one that:

Lists an identified real meat as the first ingredient.

Contains no corn, wheat, brewers rice, or soy.

Contains no unidentified meat sources, such as "meat by-products" or "animal digest". These can come from anywhere, including road kill and euthanized animals. Yuck.

Contains no artificial colors or flavors.

Lists the Taurine content in the analysis section. The larger the percent the better.

Is not made in China.



Some of the better foods include Wellness, (especially Wellness Core,) and Orijen. You'll find better foods at quality pet shops and the better feed stores. You will not find a good food at a grocery or discount store.





I used to recommend ( and feed ) Innova Evo, but the company is now owned by Procter %26amp; Gamble, a company that is a major offender of animal testing abuse, and one I do not support or trust.Why won't the cat eat? Should I switch foods?
I'm surprised you haven't gone to the store and got a few other brands. If you want to try dry food types without buying a 6 lb bag, ask around at work or with your friends and arrange to trade zip lock baggies of the different foods between you.



A cat can starve himself if he hates the food he's given. Get a few different cans and give those a try. Watch HOW he's eating the treats, it may be he has a raw mouth ulcer or a sore tooth that stops him from eating out of his bowl--he'd need the vet to look at that if that's the case.Why won't the cat eat? Should I switch foods?
Take a look at the bag, and see if there is an expiration date. It is possible that you got a bag that is spoiled. You may not have the receipt. If you do, take the bag back and exchange it for a new bag. If not, call Purina (there should be a phone number on the bag, or go to their site) and give them the bag information. They may send you some coupons.



Cats will not eat a food they don't like, and there seems something about the bag of food that bothers him. At least, look for a fresh bag of the food so he has something to eat while you are sorting this out.Why won't the cat eat? Should I switch foods?
Try some Meow Mix. I've never had a cat that didn't love it.



Even my current cat of five years, who was a Deli Cat freak and would eat absolutely nothing else but it, once he tasted the Meow Mix, he turned his nose up to the Deli Cat.



Little did he know, the Meow Mix is much cheaper.



He's looking really good too. And very active, playful, content and strong.



http://yfrog.com/empicture093ej

No comments:

Post a Comment