Sunday, February 26, 2012

I'm thinking about a raw diet for my kitten?

I've been reading around about raw diets for cats who have IBD. I probably will cook the outside of meats rather than being totally raw. Anyways, if I do stick to "raw" food, can I store them in glass jars like the canning jars in the freezer?* Also... is there a reputable site where they list recipes for a homemade cooked diet for cat?



* I've never froze food in glass jars before and I'm not an advocate of storing certain foods in plastic containers. Any advice or suggestions?



Thanks :)I'm thinking about a raw diet for my kitten?
Remember to give your kitten a suplement Vitamin tabletI'm thinking about a raw diet for my kitten?
Good idea! True raw would be better but hey, you're on the right track so no lectures.



I would think you could freeze the meat in glass jars but I don't really have a good answer for you. I use plastic.



I think you can follow the same recipes as one would for raw. I probably shouldn't guess but you're only cooking lightly so I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will jump in and straighten us both out.



Recipes - I don't follow one since I feed whole prey, but the one from cat nutrition is used by many.



Or....you don't necessarily need a recipe. It can be as simple as meat and a commercial supplement such as Wysong's Call of the Wild or Instincts TC. There's another one whose name I forget.I'm thinking about a raw diet for my kitten?
Very cool! There are a lot of raw food diet recipes out there.



This website is very good, and is sourced by a lot of different people who believe in a raw food diet for cats. http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm



The problem with raw food, is that it can be tricky to get it right, with all the proper nutrition. If you don't want to deal with all of that, I would suggest purchasing supplement to be added to raw food. Feline Future makes a great product - you buy raw meat and liver, they provide all of the other stuff necessary to make raw cat food. http://www.felinefuture.com/



As for storing it, I would mix raw food with the feline future supplement and decrease the water content. I bought some of that stick together freezer paper (I think Ziplock makes it, its blue), and scooped out individual portion sizes. Once it was frozen, It could be cut it apart to make space.I'm thinking about a raw diet for my kitten?
RAW is the way to go. Plastic will work fine, and jars will probably create storing issues as well as when it comes time to thaw (I just set my frozen bagged food into a bowl of warm water to get things started).



You "can" cook the outside of the food to get them started on RAW, but you will probably find it's not a good idea. My male has a sensitive stomach, and when ever he gets into something that he shouldn't have (even cooked meats no seasonings), I can tell by the way the cat litter smells. It will upset their stomach.



As far as recipes... er there's not really. Depending on which RAW style diet you follow. I follow prey model, so I try to give things whole and least processed/changed as possible. Some people, depending on what you feed and how you feed it, they will add vitamins and supplements. But if you feed a wide range of things, you shouldn't have to.



Defiantly will need to do more reading! There's too much to explain!
Simple Home-Cooking recipe for Cats..FYI cats love this!!!!!?

3 cups raw or lightly cooked ground meat (beef,chicken, turkey or lamb)

1 cup raw or slightly cooked organ meat(kidney,liver,heart,lung)

1 raw turkey neck, ground or finely chopped (be sure not to cook)

1 cup well-cooked grains(oats,rice,barley or cornmeal)

1/2 cup well-cooked vegetables (broccoli,zucchini,carrots,squash,or green beans)

1 raw egg

1 teaspoon olive oil or flax seed oil Mix all ingredients together, then divide into individual portions. Yield: about 6 cups of food with approximately 250 to 300 calories per cup. The less you cook the ingredients, the more nutriitional it will be for your cat. If you freeze the individual portions, they will keep for several weeks and you can defrost one a day. When thawing, try not to use the microwave or another cooking method, since this will reduce nutrient levels. Instead, let the food thaw overnight in the refrigerator. To warm it, place the food in zip bag and emerse into hot not boiling water for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment