Sunday, February 26, 2012

Questions for Raw Feeders?

I am trying to calculate how much raw cat food my cats should receive. So, I have some questions.



1. How many times a day do you recommend feeding?



2. How many ounces of food a day should a cat receive?



I know that this information can vary, based on weight, age, health, and exercise. I am really just looking for general amounts that I can adjust, as needed. If it helps, all of my cats age from one to nine years of age. None of them are overweight or have any health problems.



I also have some more questions.



A. Do you prefer BARF, whole prey model, and/or frankenprey? Why or why not?



B. What "recipes" do you use/follow?



C. If you follow whole prey model, how do you go about feeding your cats?



D. Have you had difficulty finding a veterinarian who agrees with your cats' diets?



E. How much do you spend, daily, weekly, and/or monthly on food, per cat?



Any other information is appreciated. 8)Questions for Raw Feeders?
Raw fed cats should be fed 2 times a day around 5oz per feeding. Monitor their weight if they gain, lessen the food if they loose unneeded weight then add more.

A-I feed raw from the link in source

B-see link

C-if I did I would tass it to them

D-Somewhat but they are out there and I have a good vet now.

E- around 40$-75$ 5 cats 2 dogs a monthQuestions for Raw Feeders?
My cats are partly raw fed. I do not follow any particular philosophy but have my own system based on what I have learned about feline nutrition combined with what is inexpensive (not always) and easily doable.



I feed my three cats three times a day. Early morning when I get up, mid-afternoon when I usually come home, and a little before my bedtime. Two of the meals are canned premium foods and one is raw.



My cats are young adults all on the small side. They are indoor cats and are quite active.



Some typical meals:

1) chicken thigh or leg, sometimes with some fat chunks reserved to use with lower fat meats, chicken liver, chicken hearts. I do not have a grinder. I whack the chicken up bones and all so that the bones are in smallish pieces. If the meat and fat to bone ratio seems too high I'll add a broken up chicken neck or chicken neck section. The liver I mince or puree so one cat doesn't eat all the liver. The amount of liver is about 10% of the total volume. The amount for the three is about 3.5 ounces.

2) turkey leg with chicken or turkey liver prepared the same as above.

3) dressed, skinless rabbit, I add some chicken fat plus liver from chicken, turkey, or beef and sometimes some lamb kidney. I hack the rabbit up with a cleaver, bones and all. I often add an egg yolk and the contents of a 500mg taurine capsule. The amount for the three cats is 4-5 ounces - they love rabbit so I give them more. Plus, it is lower in calories (almost no fat).

4) beef, I buy some type of steak and cut it into chunks. I usually add some liver and sometimes beef heart or kidney. I add some Kal brand powdered bone meal about 3/4 teaspoon.



To any of the above meals I may add some cold water fish oil. I add the contents of two 500mg gelcaps twice a week.



If I fed the cats only raw homemade food the total cost to feed them would go way down. During the times they have eaten only raw for a few days the total amount they ate was far less than with canned (only the good stuff) and raw. But I can't tell you how much because it depends on where you shop for meats.

It does seem certain that cats use more of the raw food, getting proportionately more nutrients from the food, than even with canned foods like Wellness which have no fillers.



I also recommend you read all the information on Dr Pierson's site:http://www.catinfo.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment