Thursday, February 23, 2012

Is Raw diet really better for Dogs? If so how much should I feed, how often do I feed and what should I avoid?

I am going to get a whippet, an I came across this page saying that dry pet foods are not that great because of its low quality ingredients, and how it can create health problems! It also said dogs hate eating it, and are just like humans, wanting fresh food



So I am planning to give raw food every once in two days, but I don't know how much should I give fo a whippet. Like how many grams etc, and what recipes do you recommend? How often should i feed a dog per day?Is Raw diet really better for Dogs? If so how much should I feed, how often do I feed and what should I avoid?
Done right raw feeding is a good alternative to commercial foods. Sadly I've seen it done right very rarely. You need to join a raw feeding group. There are several on yahoo. Raw feeding can also be expensive if the food has to be shipped in.



Good quality dry food is fine. Talk to the breeder that you are getting your puppy from about what she recommends.



Don't believe everything that you read on the internet.Is Raw diet really better for Dogs? If so how much should I feed, how often do I feed and what should I avoid?
%26gt;%26gt;and are just like humans, wanting fresh food%26lt;%26lt;



That's just a fallacy. Dogs will eat anything. They even eat poop from the cat's litter-box, and road-killed animals. Dogs do not "taste" like you and I, dogs taste with their nose, if it smells they will eat it. If you want to feed raw; google the topic, there are professionals that will build a diet for your dog, but it costs $90. Stay away from someones recommendation just because, "My dog is doing very well on this." Their dog is not your dog.



My recommendation, feed bagged food and supplement with some "satin balls" (google it) if you think the dog needs bloody food.
Feeding raw can be a real blessing to a dog, however because it isn't easy to do correctly most of us that don't do it don't recommend it to anyone unless they are willing and able to do it right.

Here is a nutritional expert that has published a pamphlet (7.95) about diets and feeding raw.

When done right, your dog will have many benefits from it;

http://www.monicasegal.com/catalog/produ鈥?/a>Is Raw diet really better for Dogs? If so how much should I feed, how often do I feed and what should I avoid?
I agree with what Rosalie said about the bacteria(gut germs) in raw meat. My current and past vets have all told me not to feed my dogs raw meat because of the bacteria. I know that some people swear by it and if that is what they want to feed their dogs than that is fine.

There are many dry dog food on the market that are good foods. Just make sure you stay away from by-products and fillers.
raw feeding is more fun too. Chicken drumsticks, thighs, quarters even eggs form the foundation and then liver/kidneys once a week for the vitamins. I add some pureed frozen broccoli, spinach to the liver sometimes because I think they can benefit from vegetables.



Chuck a drumstick in their bowl and watch them go to town. Their innards are like soft leather so they can handle the bones quite easily.



Kibble is boring and it gunks up their teeth.Is Raw diet really better for Dogs? If so how much should I feed, how often do I feed and what should I avoid?
it is so sad to read some of the mis-informed, or ignorant mis-conceptions about raw feeding.



Please join a raw feed group. There are plenty available on yahoo. People are kidding themselves if they think that commercial dog food has been here forever, and they are further kidding themselves if they don't want to understand that it is the "waste - to - profit" industry, and that's all it is. Commercial dog foods are a method of using waste products.



Species specific foods like raw meat, are perfectly find for dogs and the raw feed movement has been going on far too long now to be debuked.



Essentially the ONLY people who frown on raw and the dog food manufacturers themselves, and the vets, vet-techs, and students, who's income, bursaries and perks are often heavily funded by those very same manufacturers.



There is nothing wrong with a raw regime, and it's not rocket science either.

Please consider it . It's an excellent way to offer premium nutrition to your dog or cat.
Have to agree with mambas a bit here- again, lol

Though i do mix up the diet of my collie/whippet, and so much information contradicts others, its hard to know what to believe, so i just go with my gut feeling , as to what is best form what i can afford and what's available.

All i can say is, One of mine can only eat kibble, and egg every 2 days and occasional raw meaty bones for his teeth, due to sensitive stomach.

EDIT: The differences in what my dogs get fed could be due to what Rosalie.
one was from breeder. the other is unknown where he was bred but was probably from a farmer or similar.
interesting.

The other one, collie/whippet now gets wafcol salmon and potato kibble, 1 or two rabbits a day. and a raw chicken egg every 2 days.

Both get scraps too, but mixed in kibble.

I also know the find things in fields, like cows afterbirth when im not looking, i consider this as actually good for one of them, the other has a sensitive stomach.

As they both run most of day and hunt at night, my objective is to keep the weight on though, and this is working well with my Lurcher (18Months).

The biggest problem people have trying to mix up the two, is the dog wont eat kibble any more as they prefer raw, so very much depends on the breed, the dog and how much they work/play/exercise.
From the outset, I don't think it's such a great idea to be feeding a raw diet like this. As far as I'm aware, and I don't raw feed, you either raw feed, or you use a commercial feed, you don't chop and change.

Secondly, you absolutely must get the balance right when feeding this sort of diet. And that's going to need a lot of research.

Thirdly, Whippet tums can be sensitive. They can quite often run to colitis so you will have to be very careful you don't run into this. In fact my Whippet was reared on Beta - which isn't a diet I'd normally use. However, her breeder swore by it, and certainly she was doing really well on this when we picked her up at 9 weeks. I kept her on it for one whole big bag, but once that was finished, switched her to Burns (UK), which was what I was feeding my other hound at the time.

It's totally up to you but I have to say that although dogs love raw meat, when given the opportunity to have some, provided you do your research, and find a good quality complete, there's nothing wrong in feeding that. After all, especially with a growing puppy, it should all be in the bag, which, again unless you research properly, is not necessarily the case with a home-made diet.

My Whippet was on 3 meals a day, breakfast, lunch and tea, plus goats milk last thing to begin with. She's now coming up to 3, and, like all my hounds have been over the years, on two meals a day, breakfast and tea at around 4.30 / 5 pm.
Don't go on everything you read - raw feeeding is a near-religion, and in fact there are great many respectable prepared foods that are complete, and don't include the risk of running into nasty gut germs from raw meat. There is a reason raw meat comes with warning labels.



Unless you have a dog with violent allergies, there is no reason to resort to raw feeding- and in fact, I have yet to find any dog, no matter how delicate, that actually needed their food to be raw.



Find out what your dog's mother was fed - that is the most likely food that your puppy's GI tract will do well on. The GI tract is the foundation of the immune system, which is formed in the mother's womb. Therefore, whatever she was eating is what the offspring will do the best on. For that reason, some dogs actually only do well on cheaper foods.



the only review you need to listen to is at the back end of your dog. It doesn't matter what humans on the internet think. It's all between a dog and his mother.
  • superchips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment