Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dog food (switching to homemade)?

So I have a 10 month old pit and a 5 month heeler-lab/rottie mongrel.

I want to switch over to homemade food since many seem to agree with it being more beneficial, and I like to be in the kitchen!



Any ideas on what I can make for them? I've seen some recipes online but I think that's mostly for big entree....



I've given them carrots and eggs since I've read that it's good for coat.



Anything else I can give them?

Or any reason why I shouldn't switch over to homemade , raw ingredients, food for them?



ps. I will be talking to my vet about this, but I have not been able to get a hold of them (weather not so kind...)Dog food (switching to homemade)?
You shouldn't really mess around too much, if the dog is happy and healthy, then maybe just introduce some aspects to his diet maybe some veg and rice here and there. If you want to try any kind of new regime then you will need to visit your vet. If you have a good vet they will be an expert in canine nutrition (contrary to what you hear on this site) and they will be able to point you in the right direction.



The feeding of your animal must be carefully formulated based on the weight of the animal and the recommended weight of your animal as prescribed by your vet and include a full range of nutrients.



The diet must be practical and manageable and include ingredients that are always readily available, unless you want to be up at 0500 chopping up 200 Chicken necks and 5lb of carrots every other morningDog food (switching to homemade)?
My mother use to make my dogs Chicken and rice with carrots mixed in. No seasonings of course, but our vet told us it was very healthy for him!
Why not give them what they crave--- feed them raw meat and you can add some veggies if they like themDog food (switching to homemade)?
The nutritional aspects with the trace elements, vitamins and other nutrients that are not in muscle meat and vegetables need to be covered. Any home made recipe needs to look at the long term effects on the dog and getting them fully covered on all basics.



There's at least three raw feeding lists on YahooGroups, go over and join up with them and ask about full nutrition coverage. There's a powder that can be added that helps keep most things there for the proper ingredients, I cant' remember what it was - transfer factor maybe -- but they'll be able to tell you.



As to home made recipeis online----don't go with any of them unless you know it's a site put up by a vet trained in dog nutrition. You have a lot of junk online, and some of the stuff is actually dangerous to try. You don't want bone or organ problems developing in your dogs. Some of that stuff is not reversable. Any kidney or liver function lost, for instance, is going to be permanent.
If you're serious about being 100% responsible for your dogs' nutrition, you need to do it correctly. Carrots and eggs won't do them any good, they have to be fed a balanced diet. There's an excellent book I found in my vet's office called "Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats".



It has a lot of recipes, supplements, and explains very thoroughly what everything is needed for. It also has a large section on health care. This book would be a really worthwhile investment.Dog food (switching to homemade)?
Well, my dog has always liked ice cubes, carrots, steak, and her favorite, cheese.
Is it that you want to do Home made and cook for them or is it that you want to go RAW??? Because the way you feed these diets are drastically different.. I myself much prefer the RAW diet because there is less preparation and supplements involved.... I would contact a canine nutritionist before going with a home cooked diet long term...... If you would like info on RAW that I can give you.....
Feeding a dog a raw diet is not rocket science, but it does need to be balanced. You need approx 60% Raw Meaty Bones, 10% offal and the rest other meats. The offal is important for Vit B's, which ordinary meats lack. If you are going to cook for your dogs, it's more complicated. You need to add bone meal to cooked food, in order to give the dog the required calcium. I've fed raw for about 18 years now, and my dogs are never ill. But research it first.
  • spiderman the musical
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment