Monday, February 20, 2012

Want to change my 4-5 wk old kitten to Raw Foods diet ("BARF") diet but don't have access to supplements!

So this is my 3rd kitten-related post. I'm working in Bulgaria until next year and I would like to feed my kitten raw foods, however there aren't supplements in my small town. I doubt there are supplements even in the big cities here. I have access to chicken hearts, livers, breasts, ground beef, chicken wings, sliced pork, processed pork/beef mix (like kofte), sausages, and obviously eggs and dairy. He was a Bulgarian orphaned kitten who has been raised on mother's milk so far I think.



My question is this: can I raise Tabs (his name) to optimal health with a raw food diets that doesn't include the supplements that are always present in the BARF recipes? I don't think asking for Taurine or Omega-3 fatty acids from my local vet will accomplish much.



Raw and natural is the way to go and I'd think just the meat would help Tabs develop the way he was meant to, but what's the deal with the supplements? I trust REAL and WHOLE foods more than some corporations processed garbage loaded with carbs, I don't care who it is.Want to change my 4-5 wk old kitten to Raw Foods diet ("BARF") diet but don't have access to supplements!
I don't know about Omega-3 fatty acids, as they are in many meats and oils, but the lack of taurine will not show up for months, at which time the effects will be irreversible and deadly.Taurine is found in animal proteins, but the amount would be unknown and you really are guessing, and a wrong guess would be fatal to your cat.



It is not just meat that is important, as cats ingest pretty much the whole mouse, so they are getting organ parts that are rich in enzymes that they need to assist them in digesting their foods. Cats have a short digestive system, and without the enzymes from their food, they will not get the nutrition they require from what they eat.Want to change my 4-5 wk old kitten to Raw Foods diet ("BARF") diet but don't have access to supplements!
Go to Yahoo Groups and look for Raw Feeding groups for Cats there and you will get a lot more information there. I can't help you for cats since I only own a dog..however to get the Omega 3 fatty acids for my dog cheaper than the dog version at my vet, I use the human version (with the vet approval). Those who own cats might be able to help you with an alternative over in Yahoo Groups if someone doesn't come along here.Want to change my 4-5 wk old kitten to Raw Foods diet ("BARF") diet but don't have access to supplements!
I would NOT feed your cat RAW foods. At least cook the meat so it is worm/ disease free.

a little cooking works better for the health than raw

good luck Want to change my 4-5 wk old kitten to Raw Foods diet ("BARF") diet but don't have access to supplements!
I found a stray kitten while on holiday in Bulgaria a few years ago too !



What will happen to him when you go home next year ? :(



Do they not sell cat food out there ?

At least he would be getting the vits he needs
I applaud you for wanting to raw feed, but cat lover is completely right, without taurine your cat will not survive. It is absolutely essential. If you can't find a way to get the supplements then a raw diet will not be safe.

Are there any internet retailers that will deliver to you? Or someone in another country who could send them to you?



eyJude - raw is much healthier for cats than cooked. Cooking meat takes out a lot of the nutrients they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment